Marketing, Design & Communications
(Ph) 402-850-6256 (Em) Derek@dpeterson.net (Wb) www.dpeterson.net
Dynamic, team-oriented leader with a strong sense of responsibility, dependability and accountability. Versatile marketing capabilities with proficiencies in planning, design and writing.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
Brand Management; Art Direction; Graphic Design; Marketing and Business Writing; Online Marketing; Project Planning and Execution; Budgeting; Expertise with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Cloud.
CAREER HISTORY & KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Senior Marketing Specialist / Graphic Designer / Copywriter – 2013 to present
NiteLight Marketing – Papillion, Nebr.
- Offer creative marketing services to community partners, business associates and non-profit organizations.
Marketing and Sales Associate – 2015 to 2016
Financial Transmission Network − Omaha, Nebr.
- Gathered marketing materials from third-party agencies and vendors for in-house marketing management.
- Standardized materials’ designs, colors, typefaces, logo use and other aspects of brand management.
- Designed and wrote press releases, success stories, flyers, brochures, e-books, emails and webpages.
- Serviced a HubSpot-based website, creating pages and emails, and designing graphics for calls-to-action.
Marketing Design Manager (promoted to this position) – 2010 to 2013
Senior Marketing Specialist (promoted to this position) – 2003 to 2010
Marketing Specialist (promoted to this position) – 2001 to 2003
Marketing Coordinator – 1999 to 2001
Securities America − Omaha, Nebr.; La Vista, Nebr.
- Grew the firm’s marketing staff and capabilities to a full-service 10-person creative team.
- Established a sophisticated, personalized in-house printing operation.
- Produced national advertising including design, media planning, negotiating, purchasing and placement.
- Created marketing for the firm, individual departments and nearly 2,000 affiliated independent businesses.
- Managed public relations and communications including working with publications and writing releases, letters, articles, email, speeches and social media for executives, departments and company leaders.
- Diagnosed reputation risk generated by Internet search engines. Search results were 100% negative above the fold and 65% negative on page one. Analyzed the problem, developed counter measures and directed online reputation management resulting in consistent 100% positive page-one search results.
- Educated executive leaders on the value of short-term and long-term online brand strategies, securing project and budget approvals to address needs.
- Successfully implemented a modern, scalable infrastructure to meet evolving digital and online needs.
- Developed, presented and supervised annual marketing budgets greater than $2 million per year.
- Appointed as the marketing subject matter expert for the firm’s acquisition of another firm. Built and executed communications as part of a 1,500-line-item acquisition ‘to do’ list.
- Created and executed a 24-page, full-color, large-format daily magazine for annual five-day national conferences. Produced each day’s unique magazine on site with that day’s content and photographs. Coordinated overnight printing and distribution with commercial printers in host cities across the country.
“Leadership Sarpy” Leadership Program
Legacy Project: “Historic Downtown Papillion Walking Tour” with markers, maps, and promotions
Master of Business Administration Degree from Iowa State University − GPA: 3.5 / 4.00
Major: Management with a uniquely designed Marketing emphasis
Marketing Research Assistantship; Transportation & Logistics and Accounting Teaching Assistantships
Bachelor of Arts Degree from Morningside College − GPA: 3.78 / 4.00 – Magna Cum Laude Graduate
Double Majors: Graphic Design and Business Administration with an Advertising emphasis
Double Minors: Mass Communications and Studio Art